Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Post about Cats- Sort of

Cats.  Really?  A post about cats?  Well, not exactly.

First, let me say that I am not a huge pet person because I know one of the great truths of the universe: AS MUCH AS YOUR KIDS PROMISE AND SWEAR THAT THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF A PET, THEY WILL NOT END UP DOING IT!  YOU WILL!

That aside, let me tell you about my two cats, and then let me tell you where I am going with all of this.

Suki  (from Tsatsuki, from the movie Totoro, yes really) is a quiet, petite black feline. Most of the day you wouldn't know she is in the house.  She avoids attention.  EXCEPT, that is, when you need it.  She snuggles my insecure son Max to sleep every night.  She curls up with you when you are sick.  She also, though, protects herself and her own (see Theo) if she needs to.  One time, when Jacob was a baby, he scared her while she was nursing.  The two of us were almost , literally and figuratively, scarred for life.

Theo (child of Suki) is another story.  He's big and in your face when he wants something. We have to keep our door closed or he will mall us in the morning.  Purring, moving around "kneading" you, here, there, everywhere, "Get that dang cat out of here!! (sound of cat being thrown across the room)."  Won't shut up if he wants to go outside.  Kill the cat.

I was thinking about this as I laid in bed this morning after having been woken up by Theo.

Theo is like I am sometimes.  HEY WORLD!!  LOOK AT ME!!  LISTEN TO ME!!  GIVE ME ATTENTION!!

Suki is more like my friend, who even though she is going through a life-threatening illness and dealing with her own drama, doesn't ask for attention, doesn't put on a show.  Smiles.  Asks me how I am doing.  Listens.  Is there.  Suki is like the women at church who got the most secret "love" notes when I had people write them during a lesson I taught.  Quiet, unassuming women.  Strong.  Other focused.

Not that Suki is perfect.  She scratches at the carpet on the stairs.  She jumps on the counter.  

I don't think I'll start doing those things.  But I do think I might try to be just a little bit more like her.

LESSON LEARNING:  Be more of a Suki than a Theo.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely. Although I think I still won't say yes to pets for a long while...

    ReplyDelete