Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Taste of the Holiday: Pumpkin Swirl Bread

So, tell me, why is it that food (like children) doesn't
cooperate for pictures?  It usually looks
better than this.  I promise.  Keep reading.


So, I'm having lots of fun with this blogging thing-a-ma-jigger and I made myself a goal that I would post at least twice a week, and now its the-night-before-the-day-before-Thanksgiving, and here I am, with 100 things still to do, 25 people coming over in, let's see, about 36 hours, not to mention lots of cooking and my WORK-work (job) waiting for me on my computer, but heck.  I'm writing a post.  A post about Pumpkin Swirl Bread.   I think I have seriously lost it.


I got this recipe from my neighbor, I-don't-remember Who, way back in house #1, which, believe me, was a long time ago.  Since then, I've been asked for the recipe so many times its become mine.  Sorry Miss/Mrs. Who.  I know it was yours first.  Its delicious.  Fattening.  Super fattening, I'm sure.  Probably 100 bajillion calories per bite.  But, who cares.  Its Thanksgiving, right, so there's my excuse.  Plus its yummy.  And it has a vegetable, so you can give it to your kids without guilt.  And they will love it.


Pumpkin Swirl Bread


16 oz cream cheese (the real kind- not fat free-that stuff is gross!)- soften in the microwave for about 1 min.
Jake, using his great-great-grandma's egg beater.
Pretty cool.
2 eggs, beaten      1/2 c. sugar


Mix these three ingredients and set aside.


Then, in your mixer, put


2 2/3 c. flour
3 c. sugar (yep)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt


Mix  together, then add


2 c. pumpkin (this year, I was going to roast the pumpkin from the garden and use that, but, well, I didn't)
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. butter, melted ( I know, more fat, get over it)
2/3 c water (at least something is low cal)




Stir until just moistened.  Put about three quarters of the pumpkin batter into greased loaf pans. Then, spoon the cream cheese mixture on top of the batter.  Next, put the remaining batter on top of the cream cheese mixture.  Cut through the batter with a knife to make swirls- go back and forth first one way, then the other (see pic- don't look at my ugly nails).   This recipe will make two extra large, or an assortment of other sized (this time I made two large and four mini) loaves. 


Bake for 60-70 minutes at 350 degrees.  Let cool (if you can wait that long) and enjoy. Be sure not to leave this where your kids or your husband can get it, or it will be all gone by the time you get up in the morning.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment