Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sometimes He Calms the Storm...



There is a line, I believe that it is from a Christian Pop song, that says "Sometimes He calms the storm, other times He calms his child."  I like this line. 






Yesterday we went to the baptism of a sweet neighbor boy.  It was a wonderful event. His face beamed with a pure, clean light.   While we were waiting to go in to the baptism my almost-five-year-old son Jacob sat on my lap as we watched a film called Finding Faith in Christ.  You can watch it here.  Its a film about the life of Christ, from the perspective of his disciple Thomas, and shows examples of how his faith has grown.  In the film, among his other miracles, Jesus heals many people who are sick.  


Today in church Jacob turned to me and asked "What is that?"- pointing to the oxygen tank being used by a man sitting near us.  I told him.  Then he asked "But why is he shaking like that?".  "Because, honey, he is sick," I said.  "Jesus could heal him" Jake said.  "Yes, yes he could.  But, (I had to think for a minute) sometimes Jesus doesn't heal everyone that is sick.  Sometimes he just helps them feel better in their hearts."


Yes, He does.


Its a stressful time at my house.  Some of us are dealing with some hard things, things that we wish would be "calmed" or just "miraculously" go away.  Experience tells me, though, that grand, call-in-the-brass-band type miracles rarely happen.  Its okay, though. We will be fine.  


"Sometimes He calms he storm, other times He calms his child."  All we have to do is keep asking for that calm, and do our part.  And then we have our own, quiet, wonderfully sustaining private miracle of peace.


If only I could remember this ALL the time, instead of resorting to beating my head against the wall screaming for fairness in this unfair and imperfect world.


Working on it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! AND why can't the brass band miracles happen all everyday? I think they might, but we are living in a Brass band world and it's hard to hear them anymore. Hang in there Janet! HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete